Wild Parsnips Rampant in Veronaby Roy Lingen
Wild parsnips, a rather pretty, but very noxious and invasive weed have been gaining foothold in and around Verona. Run into, or through, a patch of this weed and you will soon regret it -- for a long time.It's worse than Poison Ivy. The juices from this plant, when in contact with the skin, react with ultraviolet light from the sun, causing red welts and even severe burns and blisters. It is not an allergic reaction like poison ivy, more like a chemical burn. The itching and blisters may disappear in a couple of days, but the reddish discolouration of the skin it leaves behind can last months. Some have reported as long as two years.
Learn to recognize it, and keep yourselves and your kids clear. The plants can be from ground level to as much as 4 to 6 feet in height. See the pictures below and visit these sites for more information:Ontario Ministry of Agriculture: Plants you don't want to touch!
Please share this webpage with friends and family.
|Wild Parsnips along the roadside at the south entrance to Verona on Highway 38.|
|The leaves close up. Notice that they appear similar to a broad leaved parsley.|